Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Juggling Act (This is NOT an announcement of a hiatus.)


Hi all! As you can see, I haven't done a TCoML in almost a week. Not because I didn't want to, but rather because I couldn't. I've just been too busy with everything.

I remember last year when I was at University with a lot more subjects than just economics and I managed to post almost every day since August. But then, my life was pretty much in shambles and I was able to add blogging to only studying and writing.

Now, I have to study, to work, to sing, to dance, to edit, to write and to be a leader for my church youth. AND that blog I started in August (incidentally a year ago yesterday) now has 606 readers and I'm still posting (except for yesterday) five days a week. My book is done and I have to edit. I still want to get it done by next year.

And then there are the up and coming projects.

So yes, as my life grew, so did my workload to the point where I struggle to schedule anything.

The last time that happened was in my A-level year. Now I'm going to do now what I did then. I'm not going to schedule. I know what I have to do. I have my priority list (as it is right now):

1) Study and attend class
2) Work, editing, Youth, reading and writing
3) Singing, dancing and blogging
4) Drawing

Armed with that, I know what I should choose when I have time. Didn't sit down to study yet? OK then. My blogging has to move. Unfortunately, that means that I won't be able to always post (although I will try). It also means that I definitely can't visit as many of you as I do usually. As much as I'd love to.

That is and always was the secret to my life: It isn't a balancing act. It's a juggling act and sometimes I need to know when I have too many balls in the air. That's when I start putting some of them in my pocket for later.

But it will only be for ten more weeks. Then ball number one will be gone forever and the rest of my life will begin.

And that will be when I'll be back with a vengeance and in the long run, everything will get done. I just can't do everything at the same time.

In the mean time, I want to ask you to please think of me or pray for me as I go slaying one of the big giants in my life.

What about you? What do you do when your time gets limited? Do you juggle or balance? 


12 comments:

  1. I probably balance more than juggle. I move or remove tasks by order of urgency.

    If something can't get done, it can't get done. I'd rather do a few things well, than a lot of things poorly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be praying for you, Misha. I know from experience that last semester can be the toughest.
    ...Please pray for me too. I'm going to SCBWI Con this weekend ;)

    Good luck
    bethfred.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Misha! Most days I try to balance out my writing with my everyday life, but more often than not it's really a juggling act. But your right, prioritizing is very important especially with keeping with a schedule.

    Best of luck to you - I know you can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha ha. It only gets crazier. That's the reason I blog once a week. We move typically every two years, and I'm not talking a little move. Try Utah to NYC, or NY to Florida. On top of that we home school--3 kids, 3 grades, which means I'm a full time teacher. Oh and did I mention we've been pushing a musical toward Broadway that finally has representation? If that wasn't enough I started back to school about 2 yrs ago, and am finally finishing novel #5 and getting ready to beta read/critique. Leading a youth group for church? That's me too.

    It's amazing how much your capacity can grow if you learn how to balance everything--one thing at a time. We are much more capable than we give ourselves credit.

    Good luck! I'm rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think setting priorities, especially putting it in writing is huge!

    I hope to see you around and I'll be lurking to see when you post next.

    Life is a juggle at times, that's for sure. I have to set priorities too, sometimes long term and sometimes as simple as daily priorities.

    Blessings on all your things to be done. Dance your way right through it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to juggle everything, drop few things, waste time picking them up, curse myself, and then again do the difficult task of juggling everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you get 666 followers watch out. I hear that's a bad number.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely Juggle! But I try to balance as well since balance is an integral part of any juggling act. Good luck with your efforts and cut back when you need to.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes I scream. lol Usually, I start to get a little pissy. Then I take a deep breath, and like you, prioritize. I also make a strict time schedule. I find that very useful, actually.

    You tend to school and all that, I'll be here when you've got more wiggle room.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A bit of both, to be honest. But if you find yourself juggling more than balancing, then it may be time to reasses your priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Misha, you do have a lot going on! I know when I have too much to do in one area, I let other areas slide a little. There is no magic formula that I've uncovered. If you find one, please share!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Misha - Wow you're super-woman in my eyes. How do you do it all? I admit, with all that going on you have to prioritise and blogging, as fab as it is much be one of the things to gather a little dust in the light of everything else. Your list looks pretty realistic. I have bipolar and am withdrawing from meds so .... just blogging and writing and reading is difficult to juggle for me. I'm a useless pile of flesh as the moment with constant hunger pangs and fatigue - all I want is to sleep. Bleh! ;D

    Best of luck Misha (I'm loving your name btw)

    Shah - http://wordsinsync.blogspot.com/2011/08/weekend-creation-blog-hop-plus-poem.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.