Friday, October 12, 2012

Starting Out as a Film Critic

Thank you Misha for having me over here today.

You might know I write movie reviews. It took patience to acquire the love for film criticism. If you aren’t passionate about writing, your journey will feel like a chore.

I began blogging six months ago and it has changed tremendously how much time I spend writing. I comment on blogs most of the time and forget about writing. Social media is an expert at doing this to writers: more time on the internet and less time writing.

It took half of my life to realize writing is what I want for a career. Yes, I’ve always loved writing but never did I take the plunge on it right away. I was too scared to begin with because the writing business is competitive.

The less I write, I’m more perceptible to losing the ambition. If I simply don’t write, my dedication will decline. I’ll realize I’m writing less often when I should be writing my heart out. I don’t want this happen but it’s always in the ballgame with the blogosphere in my distraction.

It’s difficult to discover inspiration as an aspiring writer. You run out of original ideas and then what, visit the store and shop for some ideas? This isn’t the case for writers. You must climb up a steep mountain for several years only to find nothing at all.

If I don’t have ideas, I can’t write anything. It’s hard to come up with something right away. It takes staring off in space for hours until you find a piece of gold. Some people may question you, “What are you staring at?” Then you have to explain your story, “I’m an aspiring writer. I have to come up with ideas for my novel and blog.” People are very understanding especially when they can relate to you.

This is what I love about the blogosphere: you meet writers who understand what you’re going through. I don’t want to lose these friends that I’ve made and they amaze me every day.

I fear what every writer fears: losing the enthusiasm for writing and running out of ideas. You’re not alone, guys. We are all in the same boat, taking different writing journeys.

Bio

Livia Peterson is an aspiring film critic. She’s been writing film reviews since 2010 and has enjoyed every minute of it. She currently resides in Wisconsin with her family. You can check out her blog here.




Thanks so much for this guest post, Livia. I know exactly what you mean. 

Before I go, a little admin: I still have two more Guest Post Friday's available for the rest of the year: 2 and 9 November. The theme is Keeping Track. If you want to book one, please e-mail me at mishagericke(AT)gmail.com.

Have a great weekend all!

What's your biggest scare or writing fear? Want to write a guest post about it. ;-)
 

13 comments:

  1. Livia is awesome!
    I can relate to trying to find ideas. If anyone finds the idea store, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That explains why I stare out into space a lot.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Staring out the window right now...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Social media can suck a lot of time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My biggest fear is the one I'm facing right now. Putting something out to the world and hoping, with crossed fingers, toes, arms, legs and sometimes eyes...that the world of readers can enjoy it and tell others about it.

    Writing can be a series of overcoming fears. But sticking to it can be the greatest thing when you have a passion for it...even if that passion has you staring out at the world with a dazed look as your mind ponders idea for the next blog topic or story idea. And it's nice to know we're not alone in doing it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Livia is super. I can completely and whole heartedly relate to what she is saying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Everyone,

    Thanks for the lovely comments! :)

    Alex: Yes, I'll definitely let ya know when we find a idea store but highly doubt it's going to happen :(

    Shelley: Most definitely, it does ;)

    Mark: That's a good thing...keep searching for ideas! :)

    L. Diane: Agreed! :)

    Angela: That's why we have our excellent bloggy buddies to lean on to and also give support to :)

    Rachna: It's wonderful that you can relate to me. It lets me know that I'm doing something right :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. And THANK YOU Misha for having me over here today! I had a blast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's the beauty of blogging. We know we aren't in this alone. We all experience similar fears and frustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love exploring the blogosphere--finding other writers who have been through the same things and are at similar stages is a boost. :)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks again for everyone commenting!

    Stina: You're exactly right. We aren't alone in our writing journeys. We are reassured by our wonderful online writing community! :)

    The Golden Eagle: Thanks! Yes, that's what I love about the blogosphere too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's the thing with blogging. Once you discover the wonderful writing community online you want to keep coming back which does sometimes take you away from working on your WIP. It's one of the reasons I havent't yet ventured onto Twitter etc. I'm afraid! Still not going to give up blogging you guys are wonderful and keep me going every day :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! I was over at Livia's blog to read Mark Koopman's post a few days ago. Glad to discover a fellow WI writer. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.