Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tagged again.

Hey. Over the weekend, I've been tagged a multitude of times. Four, to be exact.

So I will be answering more questions, but I will be breaking a rule and ask that you pick a few questions and answer them. 

So first up are questions from C.M. Brown:

1. How do the stories you write about come into fruition?

I'm not really sure what you mean, but if you're referring to where the stories come from, they differ. My main WiPs, however, both come from characters walking into my head while I was reading.

2. Do you think you are the type of person who plans for every eventuality, or do you prefer to live life how it comes, without any organisation?

I used to plan for every eventuality, but found out the hard day that a too rigid structure can be a bad thing. On the other hand, having no structure at all isn't a good thing either. So, now I set myself goals, but without any set plan as to how to achieve it. Might sound weird, but it's a system that works.

3. What is your favourite song?

Well... it changes, but right now, it's this. Because it reminds me of the Doorways series.



4. Do you sing it loudly to yourself?

Oh yeah. Come on. It's a ballad.

5. Are you still friends with anyone you went to secondary school with?

Yep, with one girl in my A-Level year.

6. What would be your dream job?

Well, performing. Working on it.

7. How often do you speak to your siblings?

Can't avoid the ass. We live together.

8. If you were an animal, what creature would you like to be? Use your imagination.

Uhm... probably a wolf. Which is also the animal I'd probably be if I were an animal.

9. I love eating boiled eggs for breakfast, what is your favourite food?

Does chocolate count?

10. What piece of technology could you not live without?

My computer. I shudder to think what it would have been like to edit without a word processor.

11. Do you have a favourite piece of furniture?

Yes. A Victorian washing table.

Next, it's time to face Jacob Adams's questions. He very sneakily tagged me back, and since I don't run from challenges, here are my answers:

1. What is one author you can't refuse?

Hmm... I actually work according to genre instead of author, so there are few authors that I could resist.

2. Do you listen to music while writing or prefer silence?

Music. Otherwise a restaurant that's so busy that noise and movement fade into the background.

3. To you, what is the hardest thing about writing?

Staying patient when the doldrums come.

4.  What is something that happened in your childhood that influenced your writing today?

Actually, it was more my Gran. She influenced me by telling me that I should write. :-)

5. Movie night: Comedy, Sci-Fi, Romance, or Horror?

Almost anything BUT: no horror. no slapstick. no lame scenarios to throw people together that shouldn't have.

6. What is your biggest pet peeve?

I have two: Arrogance and hypocrisy.

7. Favorite season?

In the summer it's winter, in the winter it's summer. Go figure.

8. What was the first book you simply could not put down?

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas.

9. If you could time travel (without the ability to influence the past), what time period would you visit?

Oh... any time in European history. Or American. Or... South Africa, after colonization. Yeah... I'm sort of nuts about history.

10. Would you live on the moon or Mars if ever given a chance? Why or why not?

The moon. Why? The view.




 

11. What is the biggest thing that scares you?

If you're talking about phobias: Water (yes. I row), needles (will never become a junkie), escalators (only got onto them without issues at the age of 13) and heights. However, I do make a point to deal with my fears, because I won't let them rule my life.

Other fears: That I'll be stuck in a soul-killing occupation because I'll settle for second best when it comes to living my dream.

Then there are questions from fellow South African, Rossandra White.

1. What book have you always wanted to read, but still haven’t gotten around to it?

Well. I've always wanted to read the complete collection of Sherlock Holmes. I'm about 90% through. But for some reason, I always lose His Last Bow. :-/

2. What classic book do you feel is overrated? Why?

Hmmm... Actually, none of them that I've read. Oliver Twist was good, but not as good as I'd thought it would be from the movies. See... a lot of it, and some characters, get cut out in adaptions...

3. What is your favorite movie adaptation of a book? Least favorite?

Favorite: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Least: Actually, I very rarely like adaptions of books I've read, so I'm struggling to single out one.

4. Where is your favorite place to write?

In my room, on my bed. Or in a busy cafe/restaurant.

5. Pen, pencil or computer?

Pen when drafting. Computer for edits. Never a pencil unless drawing.

6. What was your favorite toy as a child?

Hmm... probably my Star Castles, but most of my playtime was taken by play-acting with my cousin. So I guess that would make our dress-up clothes my favorite.

7. What is the greatest accomplishment of your life?

Hmm. From other people's perspective: Finishing my degree. From mine: digging myself out from rock bottom and finding where I want to go in my life.

8. If you could wake up tomorrow having gained any one ability or quality, what would it be?

Still can't decide between time control or telekinesis.

9. What are five songs you hate to admit you love?

Hmm. Nope. I'm much too sure of myself to be shy about my personal taste. ;-)

10. Where is your dream destination, (or place you’ve always wanted to go)?

Europe.

11. What are the top five things on your bucket list?

In no order:
1) Tour Europe
2) Tour North America
3) Speak eight languages fluently
4) Publish.
5) Perform on stage.

Finally (if you made it all the way to here, wow) there are questions from C. Lee McKenzie.

1. What's the best part of reading a book you love?

That bittersweet sense at the end that I wished that the story would continue.

2. What book(s) have stayed in your head?

Actually, at least one aspect of any book that I've ever read sticks with me when I read. No matter how good or bad. Sometimes I can look at a cover of a book I read when I was ten and tell you the story, the main characters, the main conflicts and the end. It's... apparently very weird.

3. If you could write one book only, what would the main character be like?

Like the ones in Doorways.

4. What book(s) do you love to read to your kids?

Don't have kids, but one day I will let them pick. Then I'll read once or twice, and let them read it on their own. That's how my massive love of reading started.

5. Do you ever read books aloud to others?

Portions of books.

6. Do you like discussing books with others?

Love it.

7. If you hate a book, do keep reading anyway or put it away?

I keep reading. At first because of obsession, but now because there are awesome writing lessons to be learnt.

8. What kind of books do you like best? Sci-fi, Realistic, Historical Fiction, Biography, other.

Any. I like good stories.

9. Are you transitioning into the digital age with a Kindle or a Nook or a I-Pad? Or are you sticking with those hard copies? Do you mix it up?

I love hard copies, but since I started blogging, I'm so jealous of all the books I'm missing because I have to read on my laptop (which I don't enjoy).

10. How much do covers influence your buying a book?

Actually, not much. I pick by feel. Another weird thing for you to work out what I mean. ;-)

11. Any new books you'd recommend?

Oooh... I'm still trying to catch up on my TBR pile. Right now I'm on Jane Austen, so new books aren't that high on my priority list. But I do recommend Persuasion.



So these are my answers. What are yours?

35 comments:

  1. Great questions and answers, Misha. I learned a lot about you today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the fun bit about these taggings. It really gives insight into the "taggees'" thoughts.

      Delete
  2. I don't like needles either! And chocolate for breakfast?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your answers and can totally visualize you singing in your house as you write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't even answered my tags other then to say thank you to the taggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha the best way is to work through them systematically. :-D

      Delete
  5. Love your answers. I, too, love to belt out my favorite songs. I'm also desperately afraid of heights :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How afraid?

      I used to be terrified of standing on chairs. :-)

      Delete
  6. It was fun to get to know a small part of you through your answers ... it never ceases to amaze me how much authors are alike... I'm in your group for Rachael's 4th campaign. Glad to meet you! ~Theresa Sneed author of No Angel and forthcoming From Heaven to Earth http://theresasmallsneed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chocolate is perfect for any meal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting questions and answers. I also love Sherlock Holmes books. Your answer on how it is bittersweet when you are done reading a good book is true for me also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that bittersweet feeling is sad, but awesome. :-)

      Delete
  9. Misha, good answers to some difficult questions. As well as eggs, I must admit I do like chocolate too! Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions, they are a great way to get to know our fellow campaigner's a little better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also adore eggs. If there are eggs and bread in my house, I'll never starve. ;-)

      Delete
  10. Loved your answers and I hate needles too. Chocolate for breakfast is no problem--I sprinkle Hagelslag on buttered toast. That with a cup of coffee starts my day with chocolate bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG... You've been tagged so many times? You deserve the title of TAG QUEEN! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like many writers, I can write to music or noise in the background. Loud music is fine with me. Lots of bass and a screaming guitar. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It would be a great view from the moon! Stopping by to follow and say hi. Thanks for dropping by my blog, new friends are always welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Heather, thanks for the follow! I hope you like it here as much as I like your blog. :-)

      Delete
  14. Great answers and yes, chocolate can be eaten for breakfast. And writing without a computer would be tortuous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whew! Great answers and way to stick with every one of them! The one that sticks out to me is the very first one: where do your characters come from. I thought I was the only person who got characters from watching movies and reading books. They always ALWAYS show up when I'm trying to enjoy someone else's work. I could probably populate a small country with all my characters!

    Cheers,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha yeah and when they show up, they take up so much space that you can hardly concentrate on what you're reading/watching. :-)

      Delete
  16. Misha I have to say OMG! You have the patience of a saint to answer all those questions and now I feel like a meanie as I:

    *sneaks up from behind the pc screen* "TAAAGGGG" *runs off squeaking* ;)

    You are officially 'it' here are your choices: a) Accept it graciously b) Ignore it -well, I can't stop you c) Make a sound so I know you've taken the blow and are chasing others out there and d) Pass the tag on -and nope, I'm not accepting the tag again, find someone new. :P

    Should you take on the tag, here's where to source out the questions you need to answer on yikici' post Savvy Salutations' to...ermm...the Tagged Person.

    *I just wanted to say thank you for popping by and a quick heya. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha I'll answer your questions. Either on Saturday or Monday. :-)

      Delete
  17. By the "feel" of books do you mean how the paper feels? 0-0 If so, you are amazing.

    This is about what my tag post is going to look like when I get around to typing it up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.