Friday, October 19, 2012

Ghost


Hi all! Today I welcome Lee to MFB. She's going to show off her writing chops to tell us about some scares she had in her house. She's a wonderful lady, so if you want to find out more about her and her writing, please go say hi on her blog.

Take it away, Lee!



I don’t believe in ghosts. I don’t. Really. But . . .

Our house was built in the 1930’s as a mountain cabin for people from San Francisco who wanted to escape the city and live among the redwoods. We remodeled it when we moved in, adding a couple of rooms and reconfiguring the entrances and exits. I’m telling you this because it’s important to my story. 

A few years ago things started appearing on stairs, on counters, and always in the original parts of the house. A red scarf came first, and I asked every one of my friends who’d visited in the previous month if it was theirs. “No.” was each person’s answer. I finally gave it away and forgot about it. I wouldn't have remembered it, except a few months later, I tripped over a pile of combs and ribbons on the stairs up to my bedroom. I’m the only female who lives here. Still I discounted it. There had to be a logical explanation. 

Then one day I went to my jewelry drawer to put on my favorite pearl earrings and there was only one in my jewelry box. I searched. I cleaned drawers. I accused my family of playing tricks on me and trying to make me think I was losing it. First things appeared, and then they disappeared, and I was getting a bit cranky. 

After three years passed, I decided that earring was gone forever, so I had a jeweler make a matching one for me. I brought the two earrings home, opened my jewelry box to put them safely away, and there in the drawer was my long lost pearl earring. I don’t know how to explain why I have three pearl earrings, but I do. 

Nothing else has happened for years, but a friend who spent the night in the old bedroom swears a ghost visited him. He described how a woman (At first he thought it was me.) entered the room. He said she ran her hand along the books on the shelf near the bed, then walked into the closet. That closet is located where the old entrance to the bedroom used to be. My theory, if I believed in ghosts, would be that the ghost knew her way around the old house and thought the closet was still the way out. Well, for her it was. She didn’t reappear, according to my guest. He’d never heard my stories about the appearing and vanishing items. He’s also never spent the night with us again.

Brrrrrr.... creepy. Thanks for the story, Lee!

I have two slots left. The dates are: 2 and 9 November. The them: Keeping Track. This could literally be about anything in writing within this theme. Or even if you want to follow Lee's example, a story you want to tell. If you're interested, please contact me at mishagericke(AT)gmail(DOT)com.

16 comments:

  1. Think your guest got more than he bargained for, Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some locations seem to attract spirits more than others. Interesting idea to think about as Halloween looms on the horizon. Enjoyed this story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ghost story, love the real thing. But not the 'real' ghost. She says and makes the sign of the cross! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, that is so creepy!! I know a bunch of people who have ghosts in their homes. It's so bizarre! I hope I never live in a house with a ghost. I really don't think I'd last very long living there! I'd be trying to call the Ghostbusters, LoL.

    I like your blog's new look, Misha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your guest sure was a brave person, Lee. I would have screamed and brought the roof down. Perhaps, my screams would have scared the ghost away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The house I grew up in was haunted, but nothing ever went missing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Similar things happened in the house I grew up in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neat story, Lee. I didn't believe in ghosts until I saw one.

    Waving at Misha. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are creepy occurrences . . . especially about the woman your friend saw!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Creepy occurences! I would never want to visit that house! Great post, Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I should think after that experience, Lee, that you would believe in spirits! :)

    Although I've never seen anything like that myself, my best friend who I trust implicitly told me about the night she woke up and saw a young girl at the foot of her bed dressed in a pioneer dress. She decided not to say anything to anyone, thinking maybe it was a dream. At breakfast the next morning her daughter told her she saw a girl in an old-fashioned dress in her room. That's when my friend realized they had seen a spirit. Since the house was not more than 50 or 60 years old, she figured it was either built on the girl's grave or the land on which her house was built was a place the girl used to play.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK Misha. I don't know why I decided to check out your blog tonight at 11:55, just before going to sleep. If I get bad dreams tonight I'll blame you and Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is scary...
    They say that people who are born with a "veil" (it's supposed to be a super-thin layer of skin covering the face), can see these other-worldly entities... but I don't know how true this is.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooo, creepy in kind of a cool way. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.