Sunday, February 20, 2011

I feel so loved!

I really feel loved this week. Not only did this blog cross the 250 person mark, but I got not one, but TWO Stylish Blogger awards!


So, thanks to all of my new Bloggy Friends. I hope you feel welcome and that you will enjoy your visits here.


Then, I want to thank E.C. and Cher for giving me the awards.





So, for the award, I need to:

  1. Link back to the award givers.
  2. State Seven things about myself.
  3. Pass on the award to 15 recently discovered bloggers.
But I was thinking. Yesterday, I stated some facts about myself, so... Today I will clarify which one was the untruth.

Bonus Fact: I am descended from Paul Kruger. If you want to know why this is awesome, google Paul Kruger and Anglo-Boer War. Those were the days when we were a nation of badasses. ^_^

Now, on to the Crusade Challenge...

1) I do tribute the Three Musketeers by wearing my foil at my side. (For the non-fencers out there, foils are the thin-light stabbing swords used in fencing.) If I am at competitions, I never put my sword down. It goes through the eyelet used to attach the electrics in bouts. As a point of interest, both my swords have names.

2) I am fiercely loyal when it comes to friends. People that try to hurt me usually go away worse off. People that try to hurt my friends might not leave at all. Kidding! I draw a line at things that would land me in jail. ;-P

3) My most precious material possession is a gold ring with a fresh water pearl. And yes, it was smelted out of my Grandfather's wedding ring. If you are wondering how, let me mention that his fingers were so thick that two rings came out of it. The other one went to my cousin.

4) Yes, I am a constant fidgiter. So I tap all the time. Right now, I am tapping away at the keyboard while jerking my knees from side to side.

5) I was twelve when I started to treat my hair. At that time my hair was starting to darken, so I started to use treatments to keep it light. By the time I was thirteen, I had progressed to dye. If you are wondering why, the colour that runs in our family is a sort of ash blond that is more ash than blond. An awful color that I didn't want to risk. At sixteen, I grew tired of the blond and went auburn. Never looked back. :-D

6) So.... Number six was the untruth. Yes, I do love the Three Musketeers, but I loved the story before I could read. I came to love it passionately when I read the unabridged version at the tender age of eight. By the time it was prescribed in high school, I was annoyed because they cut out some very important scenes.   And yes.

I read it by myself.

In a week.

It was my first book written for adults.

My librarian was flabbergasted when I took out Dickens after that. 

To make this more unbelievable, I read the unabridged Death of King Arthur when I was ten.

But that is a story for another day.

Now... On to my recently discovered bloggers...

Jean
Charlotte
Kangaroobee
Catherine
Laura
Caroline
Project Fraeya
Martin
Antimony
M
Tony
Gary
Jen
Ciara
Cherie

So... what book was the first book that you read that was aimed at adults?  

31 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the Stylish Blogger award! I'm honored. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh...thank you! I can't wait to pass this on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, thank you for the award!

    The Three Musketeers is one of my favourite books, the first 'adult' book I read was the complete Sehrlock Holmes collection by the time I was 7, I wanted to marry him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lindz!

    Thanks Em!

    Always a pleasure Ciara.

    Pleasure Laura.

    Why thank you, oh Masked one.

    Antimony, I am impressed. I took out Sherlock Holmes complete ed. when I was nine (I think) but I never finished it - as someone HAD to have it two weeks later. *facepalm* I remember that the book was 1122 pages exactly. And yes, I am a total fangirl. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the award! And congrats yourself.

    I think Treasure Island was the first adult book I read. I'm wondering if it's still on my shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that's a good lie, couldn't even tell! Mm, I totally thought foil was like the type you put over food or something. Makes more sense this way, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your award!

    Great lie--in the sense you hid it well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. congrats on your award!
    I started dying my hair early too. I tried a variety of colours. For many years I was a red head. I'm currently a honey brownish/dirty blonde lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the award, Misha!

    My 1st adult book was 2001 by Arthur C. Clarke. I went with my brother and father to see the movie. I had to read the book after. I still love that book.

    I have a ring which used to be my grandmother's and was once her mother's wedding ring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the award, and million thanks for passing it on to me.

    I've never dyed my hair, but my brother has (tee hee!). Oops, that was supposed to be a secret :-)

    The truth is I really can't remember what the first adult novel was that I read. Probably one of the classics - Dickens; maybe A Christmas Carol... Not sure. Was 'The Adventures of Baron Munchausen' aimed at adults?

    Lovely story about the ring(s). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm. I read Lord of the Rings when I was 10...

    <3 Gina Blechman (fellow crusader)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My first adult book? Probably Call of the Wild, when I was maybe 9 or 10.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations as you rocket toward the 300 follower mark. By the end of April you should be past 400!

    Lee
    Tossing It Out and the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2011

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't remember my first adult book. But maybe it was Aldous Huxley, Brave New World. Still one of my all time favs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on the awards!

    I can't remember the first grown up book I read. I remember sneaking Mommy Dearest into our house and reading it in secret though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratz on your awards as well as passing the 250 mark. Woo! I just passed 200, myself, and am going to have a giveaway on my Wednesday post. :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Misha, thankyou for passing on the award! You've inspired me to be a devoted blogger.

    The book that made me a hopeless book addict at 13 was "Tomorrow when the war began" by John Marsden (Australian author). I huddled under my doona with a torch all night reading it. Six more books followed in the series which I received religiously every christmas. And finished before Boxing Day! Technically it's aimed at young adults but it holds fond memories for me - it contains the first ever "love" scene I ever read :0).

    My first adult book was "The Hobbit." I picked it up and put it down about 10 times before I finally finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. First real adult book I read must have been Robinson Crusoe. It took me a few months because I lost the book and only found it again much later. The library wasn't impressed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Either Jane Eyre or Day of The Triffids.
    I should know but they came very close in time and I just can't recall.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on the awards.
    And not only am I a fellow crusader, I'm a fellow fidgiter! Drives my husband nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on the award and thanks so much for passing it along! :)

    I have always wanted to learn fencing. The closest place to learn, however, is over an hour away from where I live. But it's exciting to watch and read about.

    First adult directed book? Hmmm...I honestly don't remember?!?! I'm always predominately read YA & MG books!! I'll have to give that question some more thought....

    Cheers!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pleasure, Kangaroobee. I loved Treasure Island. I actually want to read the unabridged version one day. :-)

    Hahaha Devin, I thought that was the picture in your mind. But if in doubt, between cooking utensils and weapons, I will invariably pick weapons. ;-P

    Thanks Golden!

    Nice, M. I still need to get round to 2001... Hmmm... *makes mental note*. I love jewels that are passed down through generations. They are just so special. :-)

    My pleasure Tony. Hahaha don't worry, I won't tell. ;-)

    O.o Gina... That is impressive. How long did you take to get through it?

    Ooh Bish, I still need to read that one. :-)

    Thanks Nutty!

    Thanks Lee! I hope that I am far past 400 by April. Perhaps I'll be reaching 500 by then. Fingers crossed. :-)

    Maria, I still want to read that one. I see now that this post is going to help me add some more books to my TBR pile. :-)

    Thanks Sharon! Did you manage to get away with the sneaking?

    Congrats Carol! I will definitely head over. :-)

    Jean, always a pleasure. :-) I enjoyed the Hobbit, but not nearly as much as LOTR.

    Theresa, that is one book that I really want to read, but never manage to get. When I find it, I have no money. When I have money, it's gone.
    -_-

    Al, what was Jane Eyre like? I have it, but still need to open it. :-)

    Welcome Diane! I drive my family insane with my fidgiting. It just takes too much concentration to sit still. Besides, I find repetitive motion comforting. ;-)

    Jen, I love fencing. Actually fencing is lots more exciting. There's just something about it...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations on your first book! My mother is going through the same thing! She has been ghostwriting in the past and has just recently published her first book as an EBook and also in paperback! She has a great blog all about her journey as well! You should check it out and also check out her book! I will post a link for you! Good Luck with all of your writing endeavors!

    http://cherylshireman.com/blog/

    Her book is called Life is But A Dream by Cheryl Shireman

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Lee Ann, I will go check out her blog now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. 300 followers is a nice round number. Yay.

    Oh, and Happy Presidents Pets Day -the day after Presidents Day, as I like to call it. In the US, we love our presidents..... pets. See my blog if you’re in the mood for a good ol' irreverent howl.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So d%&*it! I missed your name as I was going through the list, so when I popped back over to visit you from my blog, I read the answer before I read your challenge! Curses! I love that you read the Three Musketeers at the age of 8 and I was just wondering if I could get my son to read it. He's not a good reader but he will barrel through something if it's a good adventure... Anyway, thanks for stopping by! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Nick, I will definitely head over right now. :-)

    Hahaha Danette, thanks for coming by anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.