Friday, November 4, 2016

NaNoWriMo Day 4

I'm very actively sprinting at the moment, so I'm also sprinting this post in between sprinting sessions. Literally typing this while keeping my eye on the clock.

I did, after all, promise a more substantial post today.

What I didn't count on, though, was someone breaking into our house last night. Fortunately, most of our valuables were away from the break in area, so they only took one laptop and a camera, but it meant we spent hours making sure everything was alright, dealing with our insurance company, and the police. (Need the police case number to claim for theft.)

So yeah, yet again, I'm behind.

Although, if I'm saying behind... I actually mean I'm behind my self-imposed goal. At the beginning of the month, I decided to push myself this NaNo, so I'm not only going for 50k. I'm going for 150k.

When I'd started, I felt a bit frazzled and intimidated. So much so, I completely forgot about my IWSG post on Wednesday. (Sorry, Alex!)

I'm kinda glad, though. Because instead of spending time on writing out all my worries (and giving them air to breathe), I knuckled down and wrote. Got 4k on Wednesday, 5.4k yesterday, and I'm at 4k now and aiming for 2k more.

In other words, as of right now (which might change in two minutes), I've written over 14k words since Tuesday. To get to 150k, I should be at 20k, but you know what? If my word count ends up over 100k this month, a few thousand words here or there won't be the end of the world.

The amazing thing is... Right now I'm not feeling it.

I'm breaking up my writing into two or three sessions and writing. And more than that, I'm excited about where the story is going.

I mean, I'm always excited about The War of Six Crowns, but in these past few days, I've laughed, cried, begged someone not to do something stupid, and saw a little bit of hope. (Which I take to mean the readers will be going on one hell of a ride.)

Also, I've now written out 25 of (currently planned) 80 chapters. You'd think I'd feel a bit bleak to be hitting the middle, but really... these past five chapters were just perfect for opening up my way to the end. They just added another deep level of emotional complexity to what's going on, which will carry through, not only to the end, but even into the rest of the series.

So yeah. I'm stoked.

Are you doing NaNoWriMo? How are you doing? 

8 comments:

  1. Gosh, Misha, a break-in? It is horrible. And you still managed to write so much. You're a hero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about the break in. How horrible for you.

    You're doing really well with NaNo thought. Well done. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear your sad news but I'm so happy for you that the writing is going so well. 150K is a bit of a tall order, so I would just focus on enjoying the daily writes, rather than having such a huge number in your head. KUDOS!! Keep going and hope the insurance pays up quick. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, a break-in. Awful. Hope you get the insurance stuff sorted. All the best with the word count!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the break in. Glad you are safe and working on your Nanowrimo Goal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry about the break in! That's scary! At least they didn't take more stuff and good thing you weren't home. I've never had a break in (thank goodness), but I have gotten robbed before; thieves always make me so mad, because they get away with it more often than not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the best with your word count for NaNo. Sorry about the break-in though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You're totally rocking the NaNo! Yay!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.