Hey all! Wow. I can't believe it's the last IWSG post for the year. It really flew by. For those of you new to the bloggosphere, the IWSG is a bloghop where a few hundred writers come together and air out our insecurities. Then, we encourage each other as well. It's pretty awesome, cause heck, it feels good to know you're not the only one. We get together on the first Monday of every month, although January's post will only be on the 8th. If you want to sign up, go here.
So... I wish I could say that I'm insecurity free this month, but alas, no.
There's a very good reason behind this, but I'm not sure what's public and what isn't yet, so I'm just going to say this:
I've been pushed into a situation where I've had to balance my artistic integrity with my business sense. I've been approached by another publishing house for the War of Six Crowns.
The terms are the same, as is the size, but the publishing house focuses more on marketing to YA readers, which means that me signing over makes a lot of business sense.
I really really like working with my editor. And I think she was the one person who saw the story's potential when no one else wanted to. So in my mind, the better thing for the story is to stay with the person who I know gets it.
Yeah... so I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place, but I have made a decision. Sort of. But I'll do a follow up post in a few days once everything has been cleared up and the dust has settled.
It's just a bit of a mess in my head at the moment. In fact, now is when I wish I had an agent to hold my hand. These are big girl decisions and really, I just want to stick my head in the sand. Because every time I think in one way or the other, I keep wondering whether I'm making the right choice.
Anyone else have to pick between your art and the business of selling it? How did you choose?
Good luck with whatever you've decided, Misha!ReplyDelete
I think I chose the business of selling over art in a way. I worked with a publisher before, and although I loved what the editor did to help my work grow and make me grow as a writer, I wanted a bigger cut of the pie, so to speak. That's one of the reasons I chose to self-publish (beyond the creative control of the entire product).
Oh my goodness, best of luck with the decision you made.ReplyDelete
I have no input because I might just end up flipping a coin if I was stuck in such place. I just hope you followed your heart and know that you're doing the best for your novel and your hard work. Hugs! (And congrats!)
The book is already with an editor at a publishing company? Or did I miss something? Seems like it would be the same either way.ReplyDelete
Unless the new publisher is offering you an advance and some tangible ways to help you market (in the contract), do what you want. If they're not offering you those things, they don't matter anyway.ReplyDelete
That sounds like a tough decision! I wish I could give better advice, but I think I'd be just as stuck if I was in that position. Good luck with whichever route you decide to go with!ReplyDelete
Which one offers the better future for your books?ReplyDelete
Loyalty vs better marketing/money. I don't envy your decision. What does your editor say? Maybe she would encourage you to move.ReplyDelete
Yikes, sounds like a tough decision. I'm sure you'll make the decision that feels right and works for you.ReplyDelete
Wow, a tough decision. All I can say is good luck and lead with your heart and brain.ReplyDelete
This one is a biggie. I know you have faith. As the Lord to lead you in making the decision, but of course, you know you'll have to weigh the pros and cons too.ReplyDelete
I know you said the terms are the same, but the contracts are exactly the same? It's not an easy choice...on one party loyalty and the notion of an editor who is good to work with, and the unknown but potentially reaching more readers, which is the point of writing, at least for many authors...ReplyDelete
I can only say that I'm confident you'll make the best choice for you and your works and future works.
No, I haven't had that decision to make in my writing. But, it did hit me in my day job. These decisions are never easy. My only words of encouragement is to make your decision based on all your available options, and the emotional weight you ascribe to both, and never regret, even if later you say "that didn't work out as I planned." Cuz, the other decision may have been less feasible at this time. Go with what feels right to you, and know you made and informed decision, regardless of the outcome.ReplyDelete
I am glad you are faced with this decision because that means you are making progress in your artistic life. You have options, and thats a wonderful/scary thing that is basically a compliment to your skills.
Wow...well, if you believe the marketing will be better at the new house, I'd say go for it. It is tough, though, to leave behind someone who really believes in the project. Are you sure the first house won't give it that same attention? Is it possible you can speak with the editor about the marketing help you'll need?ReplyDelete
Good luck with the decision! I'm sure you've made the right one :)ReplyDelete
It sounds like it's not an easy choice. I'd give you the wisdom from all my practical experience regarding editors, publishers, and you know -- actually making money from writing or anything creative I do, but that's about as familiar to me as first-hand experience of child-birth.ReplyDelete
I mean, I get the concept, but until I've had to actually push one of those little suckers out myself, I'm not really in a position to comment on how other people should be doing it, ya know? :)
So I'll just offer you positive thoughts, warm wishes, and support for whichever path you choose.
Best of luck!!!
I have not had to make the tough choices like these... But having that opportunity is enviable indeed! I have only met one editor who's excited about my work and I'm doing everything I can to make our relationship work out.ReplyDelete
I hope your decision pans out for the best!
I think my brain would be mush by now over something like that. But if you like the editor and its a work in progress, stay where you're at. Maybe you can sell the other publisher something else you' ve written.Delete
Hugs and chocolate!
That's a little bit of a pickle, isn't it? Loyalty vs. Business Sense, and it's been a pickle since the beginning of time. I don't envy you, and yes, that's where an agent comes in handy. Much luck in your decision.ReplyDelete
M.L. Swift, Writer
That sounds like a really tough choice. I wish you good luck as you figure things out!ReplyDelete
Not an easy choice. I wish you good luck whichever way you go.ReplyDelete
Well first congratulations that this decision dilemma is even on your plate! To have a couple who want your work is a big compliment. I have no good advice for you, just my thoughts that you make the right decision for you. Do a gut-check. That's always the first place I go, and yet usually the one I don't listen to often enough.ReplyDelete
Oh man. Not an easy decision. I think it's a good thing that more than one house wants to publish you, though - difficult though that is, it's way better than the opposite! So congratulations :) I wish I had advice to offer, but all I can really say is to trust your gut. Good luck!ReplyDelete
What a crazy tough decision, but congrats! It must feel amazing to have publishers fighting over you--and you deserve it. I know what you mean about the editor. If I suddenly had to go with someone else, I'm not sure I would do it because my editor has such a way about her. She's amazing. I'm looking forward to hearing what you do!ReplyDelete
That is a tough call. I always say go with your gut feeling or what's in your heart. When all is said and done, you'll make the right decision.
All the best!
That's definitely a tough situation, and I can see why you'd be loyal to your editor. But maybe the new publishing house will get your story too, and then you won't have to feel like you're choosing between your art and the business of selling it.ReplyDelete
I had the same situation with a short story. An ezine asked for it just before a publisher asked to use it for an anthology. My business head said go with the anthology, but I'd previously given it to the Ezine (although it hadn't been published yet). It was a new Ezine and a 'friend' of mine ran it. It was schedulled for the first edition. I just couldn't pull it in the end. I have always felt I made the right decision on one hand, but the publisher did really well with that and other publications and it may have led to much more exposure/interest in my longer works. So yes, I've regretted it on the other hand. Only you can decide. It's a tough call, but also, isn't it just a little bit exciting to be 'wanted'? If it helps, your present publisher seems to have done a great job so far, so ask yourself how much better the new guys could do it... longterm! Sometimes all that shines is not gold! Or something like that. :)ReplyDelete
I have thought a little more about this post and am back to add another two cents. Comparing publishers, which one appears more stable...likely to be around for the length of the contracts/series or more? Which appears to be expanding (or expanding at a better rate)? Which publisher's titles appear to sell better (have greater readership)? All of those factors could impact the success of your novel(s) reaching readers now and in the future.ReplyDelete
tough tough decision!ReplyDelete
i would go with whatever makes more business sense though
friends/relationships in publishing an turn on a dime...........
Personally, I'd pray about it. If that's not your thing, go with the gut!ReplyDelete
If you ever have a month that is insecurity free, please let me know what your secret is!ReplyDelete
I hope things work out for the best for you! I can't give very good advice as to what that would be, but know that I'm sending good vibes your way!
It is good to know that insecurity is part of the job.ReplyDelete