Friday, October 28, 2011

Amy Lunderman's Demonsoul

Hi all! Today we're doing something different again. Amy is going to share some tasters of her new Trilogy, The Misadventures of Daria Pigwidgeon. Hope you enjoy it!

Demonsoul

Synopsis

The people I call family (and I use that term loosely by the way) aren’t the Walton’s by any means. For starters the whole lot of them are demons. Myself included. Who knew right? It’s so bizarre I don’t even believe it. Or want to believe it.

Except, I don’t have a choice.

And I haven’t since the day I was plucked from my mother’s loins. I remember everything as if it was yesterday, and I wish I didn’t. Let’s call it a gift of sorts, my memory, because it’s the only that has kept me alive all this time. Why you ask?

I have a soul.

That’s right, yours truly, Daria Pigwidgeon (a name I gave myself at an early age from a show on MTV my brothers used to watch. And it’s much preferred over scum, which was used often by my parents. Scum Pigwidgeon, not very catchy) is a proud member of her very own soul. And with that came many years of taking care of myself.

Unlike the filthy bottom feeders that are my family, I’m the first one born with a clean viable human soul. The first in generations really. You’d think it’d be a good thing, something to treasure even. Only it’s something that has left me cursed.

And very far from treasured.
 


 The first book in a young adult urban paranormal fantasy trilogy begins when Daria decides to flee her home in Bakersfield, California. With no clear plan she picks a random place, and heads for the cooler climate of upstate New York. Feeling like she finally has a fresh start she takes her life into her own hands, free of threats. Her first adventure, is in high school, as the new girl.

Making friends and vying for normalcy while staying true to herself to NOT use her demon gifted abilities, life is harder than ever. Just when she thinks she might be finding an unexpected love in the boy next door, new comers arrive in town.

Her family. The ones she ran away from in the first place.

Now she must face what it means to be what she is. A demon with a soul. Except, she's not the only one keeping secrets. And it'll shock her to her core when she finds out who and why. 



Excerpt

A voice calls out in the darkness.

“Rabbit.”

It tugs at my consciousness, but I’m a little too busy to care. Can’t whoever it is see I’m trying to pass out? Why can’t they let me just have a good panic attack. I think it’s well deserved. But it doesn’t go away and neither does the warmth on my cheeks.

“Open your eyes rabbit. Don’t go passing out on me, you here. Come on, you can do it. Just breathe.”

Something clicks in my rattled head. Rabbit. I know that from somewhere. Chance has been calling me that. It would be rather annoying if it didn’t sound so endearing coming from him. Chance? Why is he talking to me like I’m freaking out? Oh right. I think I am.

My eyes open.

“Good girl. That wasn’t so hard right? Can you take a deep breath for me? Come on, I know you can do it.”

That’s when I realize that I’m somehow holding my breath. Like my body is on strike or something. But I can’t do it. Take a breath I mean. And not because I’m still freaking out. It’s because he’s so close to me. At some point between pulling up to the school and my panic, he got in the back with me. I don’t remember that. Or the part where he took my cheeks, in between his hands. That’s the warmth I feel. His warmth.

But why is he so hot? I mean the temperature. I couldn’t begin to understand why he’s so pretty. His blue eyes bore into me, and under different circumstances I might’ve blushed. But I don’t. He gives a hard but gentle squeeze to me cheeks, like he’s trying to tell me something, but what? Oh. Right. Stupid me. I have to breathe. So I do as he says. I suck in the biggest gulp of air and my lungs expand with a hiss. Tears prickle at my eyes. 

I can’t stop shivering suddenly. I’m so cold. 

“That’s better. See? I knew you had it in you rabbit.” Chance whispers with a hesitant smile tugging at his lips.

Honestly, I don’t think I actually had it in me. I almost welcomed the black spots trying to fill my vision. I don’t tell him this though. I don’t say anything. I’m content to just let him keep touching me. He’s so warm.


Opening Teaser

Paragon


“I never thought too much about the effects my gift has on humans, that is until one of them had one at all.”


Book Trailer

Amazon

Thanks so much for this sample of your writing, Amy. I know I'm intrigued. Amy also has a virtual book tour coming up in November, so keep an eye out for her.

Have a great weekend!



9 comments:

  1. Sounds intriguing, Misha. Nice feature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first book. I couldn't help singing, "La la la la laaa" I loved that show.

    Both of these sound very intriguing. Thanks for bringing them to our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The books sound amazing. I love the premise. Thanks Misha, for introducing us to Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intriguing premise. Amusing reference to the Waltons too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for having me over Misha! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.