Monday, February 8, 2016

I can't believe I did it again.

I don't know how or why this keeps happening to me, but I always seem to realize that a book in my War of Six Crowns series is done after I've finished it.

Last week, I'd decided to renew my focus on Book 3 in order to complete the rewrite. So I reread the whole thing again to pick up all the loose strings I'd left in November, when I'd stopped when my writing had lost momentum.

And... well... the story felt done. It had a rising action. A twist, climax and an ending.

And half of my planned plot remaining unwritten. (Which was annoying.) But since the other half felt like I'd be shoe-horning it into my story, I decided to split the book. Which means that:

1) Book 3 is done. (Yay!)
2) The other half I had planned will now go into Book 4. (Also yay. Rewrite is already prepped.)
3) Revisions for Book 3 will probably involve significant revisions to compensate for the structure being slightly wonky due to me having planned most of it to be the introduction to the other (unwritten) half. (Eh... okay. I can live with that.)
4) I need a new title for Book 3. I had a title, but now the events referred to in the title happen in Book 4. (Sigh.)
5) I'm going to start revisions to Book 3 at the end of this month. (Yay!)
6) The War of Six Crowns will now be a six-book series. I was planning on five books, but hey, the more the merrier, right?

Have you ever been surprised to discover you completed a draft after-the-fact? Or is it just me?

13 comments:

  1. Well, at least you figured it out! Sorry you need to come up with a new title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's perfect that the War of Six Crowns will be a six-book series. A nice symmetry, or something.

    And I've never discovered that I've completed a draft after the fact. I was more, hitting that last period and thinking, "Huh. I guess it's done."

    Happy writing and revising!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo-hoo! That's great news. Good luck with the revisions! I usually know when a book is done and if I don't, I rely on my CPs to tell me so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Book 3 is done yay! And the fact you have most of Book 4 plotted is a bonus. Good luck coming up with an appropriate title for Book 3. It's funny...my blog post today is titled "The Art of Naming a Book." ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL. I think most of us have the opposite experience - think it's finished only to be told very firmly by critique partners that it's a long, long way off :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! You must feel great! Have fun selecting a new title. It'll be great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it great when your story takes on a life of its own?! Six books/six crowns... it was obviously meant to be :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had this happen with my Artifacts series! It went from three books to now five to adjust for the plot expanding and changing in areas. It still needs major overhaul and editing after the first book, but yeah! It was surprising when I realized it was going to be a lot longer than a trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes the story sets the direction, not the writer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't had that happen to me yet. It's great that you were able to sort everything out, and now you've got the bonus of having the next book already started. Good luck with your revisions and with finding your new title!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I had your luck. Congrats on book 3.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love/hate when that happens. LOL. Keep on plucking away. I'm eager to read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like putting it aside for a while really paid off! Great that book 3 is done! Now you already have your ideas for book 4. A title will come to you. :) Good luck!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.