I don't know how or why this keeps happening to me, but I always seem to realize that a book in my War of Six Crowns series is done after I've finished it.
Last week, I'd decided to renew my focus on Book 3 in order to complete the rewrite. So I reread the whole thing again to pick up all the loose strings I'd left in November, when I'd stopped when my writing had lost momentum.
And... well... the story felt done. It had a rising action. A twist, climax and an ending.
And half of my planned plot remaining unwritten. (Which was annoying.) But since the other half felt like I'd be shoe-horning it into my story, I decided to split the book. Which means that:
1) Book 3 is done. (Yay!)
2) The other half I had planned will now go into Book 4. (Also yay. Rewrite is already prepped.)
3) Revisions for Book 3 will probably involve significant revisions to compensate for the structure being slightly wonky due to me having planned most of it to be the introduction to the other (unwritten) half. (Eh... okay. I can live with that.)
4) I need a new title for Book 3. I had a title, but now the events referred to in the title happen in Book 4. (Sigh.)
5) I'm going to start revisions to Book 3 at the end of this month. (Yay!)
6) The War of Six Crowns will now be a six-book series. I was planning on five books, but hey, the more the merrier, right?
Have you ever been surprised to discover you completed a draft after-the-fact? Or is it just me?