Monday, August 7, 2017

5 Things to Remember When Giving Writing Advice


This morning, I watched a vlog post by one of my favorite writing vloggers on YouTube. And to be honest, the post left me fuming.

The post was about ten types of writers that are "the worst," as in people who suck.

And I did agree with nine out of the ten points, because they dealt with things like genre elitists, mansplainers etc.

But one was basically a take-down of character-driven pantsers like me. And that ticked me off, because she basically lumped a perfectly valid approach to writing right in there with writers who want to write but never actually do and people who write comments on writing without understanding what writing is about.

Because apparently, having a character who doesn't want to do something you wanted them to do isn't a justifiable reason to be stuck.

Which, as someone who actually has been writing while giving my characters free rein for years and actually has about 25 finished rough drafts as a result, I find to be a ridiculous assertion for a plotter to make.

But to give you plotter dudes an idea, this little inclusion in her "the worst" list is like me calling you chickenshit for insisting on a comfort blanket that is your plot outline before starting out. Because pantsing is true creativity, y'all.

*Eye roll*

And insulting people for using a method just because you don't use it, or just because you never thought to use it, is not cool.

Still, it did get me thinking about the things we do when giving and receiving advice and since I'm kinda in a mini-blog series about so-called "writing rules," I thought I'd write them down as tips of my own.

1) Even if you have a big following (and especially then), it's probably a bad idea to thoughtlessly mock roughly half of your following if you're not qualified by personal experience to comment on their method. 

Hell, this is a stupid idea in general.

2) Before you spout off on something, maybe consider if someone approaching writing in a certain way you disagree with actually helps that person write. 

Because if you're going to discourage a natural pantser from pantsing, you're not helping that person at all.

3) Keep in mind that people of various experience levels are consuming your advice. Tailor your information accordingly. 

4) Consider whether the limitations of your medium of choice allows you to do any statements you make justice. 

If you have under ten minutes in your vlog and you can't take the time to justify your opinion with more than a few trite, bullshit witticisms about why half your following is wrong, maybe this vlog post isn't the place to include this particular opinion.

5) If you're out to make yourself look smarter and better by insulting those different from you, you're doing it wrong

What about you? Have you ever seen or heard someone share writing advice that made your blood boil? 

26 comments:

  1. Considering that's how half of the people write, that's not good advice.
    A lot of people say you have to write every day and write a lot of books. Guess that makes me a crappy writer.
    That's why I don't give writing advice. It's just my opinion.
    Movie advice, now that's a different story...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I understand why people say one should write more, but not everyone is wired that way. And personally, I'm of the opinion that it's better to build a long-term following of people who know you're going to deliver on quality.

      Because I struggle to think that writers are able to do the intensity of editing required to a book if they're working on a three-month deadline from the start of the first draft to publishing.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure I've seen "advice" that infuriated me, but nothing stuck to me. As far as I'm concerned, the best writing is character driven.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree there. It just gives me more to connect to.

      Delete
  3. Some people enjoy giving advice, even if they don't know how to do it with tact and understanding. That blogger sounds like a horrible teacher. I doubt she is a good writer as well. If she treats her blog readers with such disrespect, it must show in her fiction.
    In that light, I like your list of tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Olga. ^_^

      I agree. The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking about unfollowing her.

      Delete
  4. I don't know that it makes me mad, but if they talk down to me or dismiss as you put it, I have no use for their advice or opinion. Advice that gives values seldom does the the other to its audience. I'll just click bye, bye and not return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, and I'm very much at the point of following your example.

      Delete
  5. What a silly statement to make! Most of my novels have been pantsed, and yes I have had to edit the shit out of them as a consequence. But at least I had something to edit! I've also done the planning thing, and while it does make things more efficient, it also often makes things more boring! But that's just MY opinion as a natural pantser who has around 15 finished rough drafts myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Yes, pantsing often does make things challenging, but you can't say we pants because we're undisciplinned and looking for an excuse not to write. We don't pants because we just haven't discovered the art of plotting yet.

      I don't plot because consciously planning out my book before the first draft kills the spontaneity that makes my writing crackle.

      Delete
  6. I pretty much don't read advice. And I'm very adverse to giving it. What do I know? Only what works for me. I'm eager to listen and I'm eager to help if I'm asked. But advice in general. No way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I give advice because I find that there's a lot of damaging advice out there that can be really damaging to writers, and if all of us sensible writers stopped giving advice, only the bad advice would be lying around to be found by the new kids.

      Delete
  7. You make excellent points. I used to be a pantsers and now I'm a bit of both. I respect any kind of writer. We each have to do what works for us. I try not to give much advice. Even with over 20 books published, I don't feel qualified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah even now, I adapt in order to streamline my writing process. And I wouldn't be able to do that if I just dismissed different writing methods out of hand.

      As for being qualified to advise people, if you're not, who is? :-D No one? But that's going to be a problem for the poor new writers who feel scared and uncertain as they start out on this crazy thing that is writing a book.

      Delete
  8. Blanket statements on 'the right way to write' and 'the wrong way to write' I think misses the target. Sure, there may be definite disadvantages to being a 'character-driven panster' for example. That doesn't mean it is an absolutely invalid method worthy of scorn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. In the same way, plotting also has disadvantages. No single method is perfect, and it all depends on what works best for the writer.

      Delete
  9. I'd rather hear about people's personal experiences writing - what worked for them and what didn't and why. That why it isn't presented as advice, but just sharing their own experiences. If you pick something up useful from what they share, great, if not, then that's fine too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah writing like that is also a nice way to approach it. That said, I'm going on almost 20 years of writing now, so I rarely discover a new experience to write about. XD

      Delete
  10. I've had some really destructive advice in the past. That's why these days I do what feels good for me. Do whatever works for you, Misha no matter how weird it may seem to others. I've also recently stopped reading those articles about how to write or marketing and so forth. What works for one person won't work for everyone. We all have our own way. I learnt that the hard way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that's why I frequently try to explain to new writers how they should be approaching the whole looking for advice thing.

      Any writing advice is destructive if it's not consumed in the right way, and no new writer realizes that until it's too late.

      Delete
  11. I always mention outlining, but let people know that it is personal preference. Outlining is only really important with non-fiction books, especially ones with tons of information that needs to be organized. Plus if you're querying, you'll need that outline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's the same for me, but in the other direction. And I actually pay attention to what the plotters do as well, so that if someone asks me a method-related question, I try to present more than one possible solution.

      Delete
  12. I've read writing advice that I haven't agreed with, but you can't follow everything. Creativity means breaking rules sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. This is probably why having this approach to advice where "my way or the highway" is the rule, upsets me. Because whether she meant to or not, this person is stifling the creativity of any new kid who doesn't know that it's okay to be different.

      Delete
  13. I always find it weird that some people believe there is only one way to do anything. They need to come on into my classroom any time and find out that part of the joy of learning and being is that we all have our unique approaches - and they're all valid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, actually. I find it so strange. Even something as simple as cooking an egg has a million different ways to do, with everyone having a favorite way.

      So writing, with its infinite complexity, should be infinitely more varied.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.