Friday, March 29, 2019

A Call for Help for Cyclone Idai Victims

It's the last Friday of March and so the first quarter of the year bites the dust. But other than that, it also means that it's time for another Got Goals? Bloghop Update Day. For those of you wondering what the bloghop is about: A bunch of us have set some crazy/super important goals, and Update Day is about sharing how we did.

The nice thing about doing this is the sense of accountability it gives. So if you would like to join in, just follow the instructions here.

But... Although I wanted to talk about some important changes that happened in my life, I just really can't get into the zone of talking myself when there's something massive going on right next door, so to speak. I tried doing it, but I just can't. It doesn't feel right, so I'll talk about all these things into the new month.

Cyclone Idai


Two weeks ago, a cyclone (which is the same a a hurricane) swept over three countries (Malawi, Mozambique, and Zimbabwe) just as it reached its peak intensity, and basically leveled everything in its path. This Guardian article describes the result as "apocalyptic", and the writer isn't wrong. Hundreds of people have died, and many are missing. Over a hundred thousand people are living in refugee camps because they lost everything. Over 2.5 million people are in need of aid. And the roads are so damaged that a lot of people can't even be reached. And now cholera has broken out in Mozambique.



So if you can help at all, please do. I'm linking up to three outreach programs I know of for those of you who want to donate. I'm not affiliated with any of these, and maybe there are other places that you know of that you prefer to be involved with. Or if you can't help financially, please spread the word.




12 comments:

  1. That many people - it's almost impossible to comprehend. Last year, Hurricane Michael's devastation here was described as apocalyptic, but it didn't affect anywhere near that many people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. The sad thing is, news of the cyclone just doesn't seem to be making it into the public consciousness right now.

      Which makes me sad, because things are really bad there.

      Delete
  2. Some of those places in the video you can hardly tell there were even houses there. So very tragic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. There are parts of Beira that looks like a nuke was dropped there. (I didn't want to use images from newspapers to show here.)

      The big thing is that especially in the countryside, people build with materials that aren't weather-resistant (because those materials are impossibly expensive when you're probably living under the bread line anyway), so the cyclone just washed those places away.

      Delete
  3. I've not been tuning in to the news so much lately so I hadn't heard anything about this. How awful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's really sad that the news isn't picking this up, because this is a catastrophe in every sense of the word.

      Delete
  4. Hi Misha - it seems to be have been particularly devastating - and with hundreds of thousands, if not millions affected through loss of life, loss of livelihood. Thank you for highlighting links where we can give. All the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's horrible.

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  5. We never fully appreciate the awesome destructive power of nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that's true. I can't even imagine what this was like.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing. And I hope all is well with you as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too bad. Just a bit frazzled because I need something like 30-hour days.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.