Anyway, I'm technically still on my blogging break, and will only be back toward the end of the year, but Nicole from The Madlab Post got in touch with me and asked me to help spread awareness for the situation at Standing Rock.
Yes, yes, I know this is way out of the usual line of topics for my blog, but sometimes, it's just necessary to speak up.
And since December is a month of solidarity with the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, I thought it's a good time for me to help in my small way. I'm really far away from everything, and have very little chance of actually making a direct difference to the situation at Standing Rock, but I know some of you are in a position to help, so I thought I'd link up to this Blogathon.
So what's it all about? Well... I'm going to let the people of Standing Rock speak for themselves...
So what can you do about it?
At the moment, the best hope that Standing Rock has is to put public pressure on the various stakeholders in the pipe-lines. You can click here and here if you'd like to read up on some suggestions as to how to do that.
This blogathon, though, is about creating awareness by writing public letters.
The instructions are as follows:
PLEASE READ ALL OF THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE SUBMITTING BLOG POSTS.
How To Participate:
1. Write an open letter to a bank of your choosing, in response to the film Mni Wiconi: The Stand at Standing Rock and publish it on your blog between Dec. 27 - Jan. 2. (e.g. Dear Wells Fargo, Why Are You Funding Water Contamination? or Dear Chase Bank, You Can't Drink Oil)
- Must be written to one of the 38 banks involved (17 are directly funding DAPL.)
- A $1.4 billion loan is on hold while the Army Corps permit for drilling under the Missouri River is suspended. This means there's still time for the banks involved in this loan to cut their line of credit.
· Only submit NEW posts. Previously published posts will not be eligible for the giveaway (see below). If you do not have a blog, consider doing a guest post for another blogger or posting your entry on Medium.
2. Add the blogathon badge to your post
3. Send us your post by filling out the form below:
4. Promote your post on social media using the hashtags #WaterisLife #Blogathon #DefundDAPL #BankExit
Nicole will post a list roundup of the participating blogs, as they are received and compiled, throughout the week and share the lists on social media.
*courtesy of @MadlabPost & Do1Thing
On Tuesday January 3rd, Nicole will randomly select five participants who will win a 2017 Do1Thing wall calendar and an emergency swag bag filled with a water bottle, first aid kit, KIND granola, flashlights and related goodies. The first winning gift recipient who responds to her notification will also receive a Star Wars themed surprise.
Thanks for reading, everyone! I hope some of you will be moved to take part. I'm turning off the comments today, because it's one of those times when really, what you think and do is your own decision.
See you soon!