Friday, September 30, 2016

Update Day: Hitting the Reset Button

Hey everyone! Today is the last Friday of the month, which means it's time for another Update Day!



I thought I'd do things a bit differently, which means...

Tada!

Vlog post.



To sum up for those of you who haven't the time to watch the vid:

This month, I decided to stop moping around and approach my writing career as if it's already my full-time job. My thinking is that I'm a business person anyway, so I might as well turn this writing thing into a business.

Making this work meant I had to rethink the way I'm going about this.

So...

TL:DR:


I'm hitting reset on my goal. 

My five-year goal is still $7500 a month, but now it can be from any writing related activity, whether it's me actually writing, or me using my writing expertise in some way.

I'm starting over. 

This is actually year three, but the change is so major and the mind-shift so big that I decided to start again. So September 2016 is month one of Year One. I basically did this, because I want to track my growth. And since my income basically flatlined for the past three months, I thought it would be a good thing to start since this major change got brought in.

I've been keeping track since 6th (which was when I decided to kick things up a notch), so that's enough for me to actually get some stats in.

Speaking of stats...

I'm also going to change the way I report on my progress. 

I might get back to the to-do list eventually, but I can't help feeling that people really don't care about those all that much.

A lot of people have been asking me how I'm actually doing with my five year goal, so I will be reporting on my money coming in and going out, since this full-time-writer-with-almost-no-money-to-start-with thing is probably something that might interest a lot of people.

Which means that I'll be posting monthly stats for the year. Two, in fact, but I'll explain more in a minute.

So how did I do? 


Basically, this full-time thing has two components: Me selling stories and services I already have, and me creating more stories. For ease of reference, I will call these Marketing and Writing. 

Marketing


Since my marketing results can only be measured in terms of income, I'm keeping track of that instead of the hours I'm putting in. 

My income basically gets divided into three groups: Income from previous months (since there's up to a 3 month delay on royalties etc), income earned within the month and income generated for the future (so I'm keeping track of books I sold today so I know how much I'll get in three months.) 

I set my goal for Total Income Generated. Which means that if I say $100 is my goal, I'll see that goal as achieved even if $100 came in only from previous months sales etc. 

Since I'm also concerned about my income's growth, I'll be keeping track of how much income I generate within a month and for future months, separately. So there will be a separate graph, where the goal line is calculated by subtracting my Income Generated Goal from the amount that came in from previous months. 

Okay? 

Okay. 

So first, let me look at income generated in past months vs income generated within this month and for future months.



Basically, the income accrued in previous months is money from Patreon (which is currently around $10). 

As you can see, most of my money generated this month was for current or future earnings. Let's see how those look. 



So since starting this whole exercise, I've critiqued one short-story on Fiverr, and actually sold some books on Amazon (which is definitely an uptick, because my book sales have basically been dead lately.) The Patreon income is basically the $10 from patrons who'd signed up before and $1 from a new sign-up. It will show up again next month as income accrued from previous months, since every month's subscriptions only actually hit my account in the following month.


Goal for October: 

It's such a nice, round number, so for now, I'm keeping to $100 as my goal. Fingers crossed that I actually hit the line next time. 


Writing


This month I basically set writing goals as I went along, which is why my goal line keeps jumping up as I hit my targets. 

I basically only started writing on 11 September, and then only sporadically. Then, on 24 September, I started timing my writing and trying to write every day. The effect on my daily word counts are quite staggering....


Let me put that into words real quick. I wrote over 16k words this month. 10k of those were written last week.

Goals for October: 

I have three big ones: 

1) I want to finish this draft of Book 3 of The War of Six Crowns before the end of the year, which means I'll basically be chasing NaNo targets every month for three months. Thanks to timing myself, I know I can type 2k words in 80 minutes. 
2) I want to write the story I have in mind for the Insecure Writers' Support Group competition. 
3) I want to re-format and update my currently published books, specifically The War of Six Crowns to prepare for the new covers I made for them. 

There are, of course, more goals (we're talking about me, here), but these are my priorities. 

How did your goals go? What do you think of this new format for my Update Day posts? Are you interested in the outcome of this experiment of mine? 

14 comments:

  1. I wonder if there is a wrong way, when it comes to writing. (other than bad writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mac! Pretty sure there isn't a wrong way to do it. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are focused. I was until I broke my arm. i was half way through writing a novel when it happened. I can peck with my left hand, one finger only. After an hour, I'm exhausted. I'm looking forward to having mobility back in my right arm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to give myself that same sort of reset, though my plan isn't half as organized as yours. We'll not give up! We'll switch it up and do what we have to do, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Resets can be good. Wow, your organization and tracking should be fascinating as the months go on! (I love charts.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great vlog. It's fun to see you and hear your voice.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so scientific and so organized, it is amazing. Sometimes, Reset is the only way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I first started my BA in Creative Writing, I remember a tutor asking us, 'Who here wants to be a writer?'. Of course, we all put our hands up. Then he said, 'If you are already writing, you don't WANT to be a writer. You already ARE a writer. From now on, start calling yourselves writers.'
    It sounded trite, but it was an important lesson. You are what you say you are (within reason!). So, I like your reset plans. Best wishes for your continual progress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this!!! I have just been sticking to my word count and miles walked goal. It seems like other ones have disappeared, but I'm looking at how to re-approach the fall and next year. I want to change my original goal a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kudos to you for having the courage to hit the reset button and start with new vision!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As things change, resetting goals is important - it keeps us growing, not just settling. I look forward to watching how it all works out for you, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck to you! My writing right now is mostly nonfiction and for a corporate client, but I'm so happy to be making money with my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Awesome way to keep at your goals. Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I definitely want to see how this experiment turns out Misha. Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.