Thursday, July 14, 2011

Letting go of a goal so that I can go after a dream

A few days ago, I craved solitude. It would fade a little as I spent time in front of the computer, but it would come back with a vengeance until I decided yesterday to just stay offline for a day. I did nothing except knitting and watching T.V. in complete solitude. Did that help?

Well, yes, because it didn't make the craving go away. It made me realize that solitude wasn't what I'm craving. What I was craving, was change.

As much as I enjoy revisions and singing and drama, if that (and work) is all I ever do, I'll go stir crazy. Well... more so than usual.

Once I realized that this was where my mind was at (my mind has a way of hiding these things), I started wondering what I could do to change this situation. Because heaven knows, it's stopping me from getting anything else done.

As it happens, I'm not the only one feeling this way - my friend Theresa felt the same. We chatted about it and I mentioned that I would love to start a Fashion Label.

The moment it did, the name for said label sparked in my head.

So now I know why my mind wouldn't even look at my WiP.

But yeah... starting a label will take some serious ass time. More than I even want to go into it in this post. And if I'm going to make the commitment to this, I'm going to have to cut back on my revisions.

Which means that my 31 July goal is impossible. So rather than run around like a headless chicken, getting nothing done, I'm just going to extend the goal in such a way that neither my revisions nor my Label will get in the way of my degree...

Here's to my new venture. May it be a smashing success.

Anyone else starting something new?

25 comments:

  1. No more headless chickens! Cheers to that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing new at the moment, well, nothing major like a design label. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Constantly working on starting something new.

    I wish you great success with the label!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So exciting. You have to follow your head and heart in these things. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember that personal goals and dreams have no deadline except for the ones we place on them. So no pressure, just enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have my moments with fashion. Go for it--So what would this fashion label entail?

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are lots of creative areas of our lives that need to be filled, not just the writing. Best of luck. The change will probably trigger some new ideas, which is never a bad thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool is that? A fashion label. Can't wait to read about the journey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting and brave. That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so exciting to start something new! And a fashion label is a very great thing to embark on. Good for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I personally think that your July 31st goal of revising 500 pages was unrealistic anyway. I think that something on the lines of 50 pages a week is reasonable (10 a day) which makes the 500 page project doable in 10 weeks. Otherwise, the editing would suck the life out of you in my opinion (and probably end up being sub par).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not starting anything new right now, but just wanted to say best of luck to you! Sounds like you've got a lot of exciting things going on right now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck! My only dream right now is to finish my revisions. Just so I don't have to do them anymore :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Many goals - and I'm talking specifically about self-imposed, DATE oriented goals - are arbitrary. The idea is generally to give yourself the motivation. But it sounds like you're plenty motivated, you just have other passions. I agree with Michael. Even if you're creeping along with edits, you're still moving, and you have the time to something else you're passionate about. Good luck with the new endeavor - and have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't worry about the revisions--they'll be waiting when your ready. I know for myself that sometimes I have to do something different to give my creative energies time to recharge or refill from another source.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck! Your revisions will always be there and so will your book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Funny the way our mind works and the fact that we can and do make adjustments to fit the new projects we want to work on. Yep, definitely on the road to doing something different. I'm going to self-publish in six months. Editing, editing an editing again, then I engage and editor, but meantime, I'm learning all I can about self-publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooo say this label has something to do with knitting!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. And all you did was pique my curiosity. I want to know more about the fashions.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Taking the time to do it right--and not going bonkers makes sense. Just keep moving forward with the revised schedule...you'll make it there eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have too many irons in the fire. Some of us creative types (or most of us) need more than one creative outlet. I know I do, so I wish you the best in your new adventure. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good luck on your newest project. Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A fashion label. Wow! That's so cool. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A fashion label. How amazing! I can't wait to read about your journey.

    Ellie Garratt

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.