Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Or... Not...

So... as it turns out, my writer's block is still going strong.


I was hoping that rebuilding the habit of writing every day would get me back to writing again. It has me writing, but not in my book, which is seriously annoying.


After this morning I thought I cracked the problem, but... no. Although I have this insight into James' psyche, it doesn't mean I can explore the conflict without boring and utterly annoying the reader. (Unlike here, where there are no readers to speak of... hint hint, nudge nudge) So I'm still stuck, pondering the same problem that has been there for two or three months.


How in the name of all that is holy, do I get James and Phipps to match wills constantly, while preventing repetition (a huge risk) and without letting James come off looking like a spoilt brat. Granted. He is a spoilt so and so, can be cruel and is somewhat self-centred, but he must also be at least tolerable to the reader so that they can have a vested interest in his personality improvement.


Also, there is this little matter of my book before this being set in stone until I have finished the entire first draft. So restructuring or rewriting is impossible.


Still, there is this fear that is starting to take hold now.  Did I write myself into a corner? Why won't the answer present itself to me like the others did. Should I maybe force myself to write and see where it goes? What if I do and I run myself into the dead-end of my creative maze? Do I have to stop months of work and start again? I don't want to. I really don't want to.


I ran across a quote from a published author, that said something to the effect of: real writers don't get writer's block. That they just keep going, because that's what they do for a living.


I read it, reread it and binned it for the bull it really is. Firstly, most of us don't have the time or money to write for a living. Secondly, if he wants to write crap thinking that he'll just delete it later, so be it, but for the rest of us mortals, having your creativity snarled by problems in the story, emotional issues and so on and so forth is a very likely occurence. I don't like it, but it doesn't mean that it isn't true. I wish people would stop spitting lines like that. They aren't helping, and it makes them appear arrogant...


Sorry for that, but I've been stewing on that quote for little over a day. Anyone knowing my disposition knows that that my patience lives dog years. A day is ages and ages for me to stew....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.